Notes from the Zoom chat - this morning's meeting

19 November 2022 General Meeting; Dave Obee presented "In Search of Home: Migration into, out of, and within Canada"

38 attended. 24 Members: Valorie she/her, marylynn strickland, WINONA I LAIRD, Katie Hanzeli, Alexis Scholz, Lola Weber, Dorothy Pretare, Janet Emerson, Melanie Hinds, Luci Kirschbaum, Robert Marvin, Tina Lawson, Ileen Peterson, Michele Mattoon, Patricia Gwin, Phyllis Haynen, Robert Marvin, carol larson, Richard Thayer, Barbara Mattoon, Desiree Williams, Carol Friedel, Bonnie Harding, Lorraine Hladik and 14 guests: Elsie Deatherage, m kadziel, Star Morales, Phil Bartlow, Leilani Lucrisia, Annette Lyttle, Lisa McCullough, mary williams, Bruce Lee, Sandra Wilson-Alto, leslie rubinson, Dave Obee (our speaker today), Shirley Holloway, Gail Wilson.

Valorie she/her: Welcome everyone to our monthly general meeting! I'm Valorie Zimmerman, president of South King County Genealogical Society.

We have social time until 10 am, so feel free to chat here or speak up if you like. David Obee will be presenting to us today "In Search of Home: Migration into, out of, and within Canada."

We will be recording the event, so by 10, ensure that your nickname is as you want it (hover over your name in the Participants list, and click rename), and turn off your camera if you like.

Today's handout will soon be in the Members Only section of our website, along with the recording of today's lecture.

We would love to have you join our society; http://skcgs.org/members.html.

If you are new to us, please tell us where you are calling from.

Alexis Scholz: I just saw the comic. Hilarious indeed. [The loop with the cartoon to which Alexis refers is on the front page of our website, skcgs.org.

Elsie Deatherage: I'm from Vancouver, WA. I saw the meeting announcement on Conference Keeper. Melanie Hinds: Hello! I am in a public and rather noisy area so will plan to keep video closed and audio muted. So nice to see everyone today. It’s snippy 26 degrees today in the Chicago area. Robert Marvin: Good morning everyone. Here from Southern California, weather looking good for the day but winds are expected. May have to leave early but will enjoy what time I have here. VZ: it was 27F this morning in the Puget Sound area, so we're right behind you Melanie!

Carol larson: Dave,  how can I find the ship records for my family that were married in Victoria in 1886 and left for South America to take out a ranch in Argentina?  They returned and moved to Alberta. [VZ: answer as I recall is that there would be no outbound official records but check the newspapers.]

Phyllis Haynen: What was the Fenian Raid? An ancestor participated in this. [VZ: answer was to just do a web search; there has been loads written about it.]

Michele Mattoon: If you’re enjoying today’s presentation and are not yet a member (or haven’t renewed), please consider a $20 membership or a donation so SKCGS can keep bringing you great quality speakers. Thank you. Here’s the payment link: https://south-king-county-genealogical-society.square.site/. *If you got a 404 during the meeting, this is the correct link.*

Valorie she/her: I keep saying "yup!" because my own Canadians have taken the routes Dave is describing Lola Weber: Mine went from Iowa to Saskatchewan. Valorie she/her: My mother was born in Warren County, Iowa and grew up in Alberta, and came to Seattle at age 14 to attend high school. There is a blog post with her story: https://skcgs.blogspot.com/2022/03/wonderful-women-grandma-lolas.html and on Wikitree: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/McBee-233.

Valorie she/her: My grampa Cowans came to Ontario in 1832 and lived there almost 100 years before moving west to Vancouver. Grandpa came to Seattle after WWI, on the train.

Valorie she/her: Coming up soon with SKCGS:

Monday, November 21 at 1 PT: Technical User Group.
Topic: Helpful Browser Extensions for Genealogy
Join https://skcgs.groups.io/g/TUG for meeting invitations and discussion.

Saturday, November 26, 11 am PT: Your DNA Secrets Revealed! On PBS, KCTS 9 locally.

Diahan Southard of Your DNA Guide, is hosting a new PBS television show called ‘Your DNA Secrets Revealed!’. She says, “It communicates all the things we value in family history and DNA testing. It showcases a wide range of experiences and helps us see the transformation that learning about your family can bring. I love how this show doesn’t focus just on the moment of discovery, but catches up with these families later, too, to see how this information has impacted them long-term.”

The show will air on Seattle-based PBS Station KCTS9 November 26th at 11 AM PT and repeats on November 30th at 9 PM PT. Check your local Public Broadcasting System station to see if it is scheduled to air in your area. If not, you can request them to show it.

Monday, November 28, 1 PT: Genealogy Chat. Meet up and chat about genealogy subjects and topics. We have no agenda; we just like one another!

We offer Genealogy Help at the Auburn Public Library monthly, starting again in January. This is where KCLS houses our books and periodicals.

Our friends at Eastside GS have a German Interest Group led by our own Dorothy Pretare. Coming up in December:
Friday, December 2, 2022, 12:30 – 2:30 pm PT
EGS German Interest Group: “Beyond the Nutcracker: German Christmas Traditions“ by Claire Gebben
Learn about those traditions brought to the US by the German immigrants and the current ones in Germany.
Visitors welcome and more information at https://egsgermangroup.wordpress.com.
Registration is required: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMsfu-trj0vG9NNobUkwXRvDei-wujsWHY-

Saturday, December 3, 2022, 10:00am – 12:00pm PT
Family Tree Maker Users Group (virtual)
Question & Answer. Each month, we will learn about using the features of FTM. Go to https://skcgs.groups.io/g/FTMUG for meeting link, meeting reminders and discussion.

Wednesday, December 7, 2022, 6:30pm PT
Holiday Potluck
All SKCGS Members are invited to attend. Please RSVP to W.Laird@...

Monday, December 12, 2022 ⋅ 1:00pm – 3:00pm PT
Genetic Genealogy/DNA Interest Group (virtual)
This group is for genealogists who use DNA data as part of their research. Topic: The Boncella method of sorting DNA matches. Watch in advance: https://www.facebook.com/SouthernHistoryBPL/videos/664451191726522
Subscribe for meeting invitations and discussion: https://skcgs.groups.io/g/Genetic-Genealogy.

Friday, December 16, 2022, 1:00pm – 3:00pm PT
Research Group (in-person), SKCGS Members only.
Kent Family History Center 12817 SE 256th St., Kent, WA
Seating is limited - RSVP REQUIRED to Winona at w.laird@...

** No SKCGS General Meeting in December.**

Monday, December 19, 2022, 1 PT
Technical User Group (virtual)
TUG is for sharing knowledge and learning about technology tools, media, apps and websites. Topic: The Internet Archives. How to submit websites to the WayBack Machine, how to search it, what you can find there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-d-WbePlLs.
Subscribe for meeting invitations and discussion: https://skcgs.groups.io/g/TUG.

Monday, December 26, 1:00 – 3:00pm PT
Genealogy Chat  (virtual)
Meet up and chat about genealogy subjects and topics. We have no agenda; we just like one another!
Join https://skcgs.groups.io/g/Society for meeting invitations and discussion.

We also offer a study group for Members. We're currently in the middle of "Research Like a Pro" by Diana Elder, AG. We'll study a new book in the new year, possibly Research Like A Pro with DNA.

And check out our blog! A new post every week: http://skcgs.org/blog.html.

Valorie she/her: I love those birthday greetings in the Canadian newspapers! It helped me to track my McBee family around Alberta.

Valorie she/her: For those who have an interest in Washington state genealogy research, be sure to check out the Pioneer Pursuit contest: https://skcgs.blogspot.com/2022/11/lets-document-every-washington-pioneer.html.

Sandra Wilson-Alto: My Wilson’s were from Lanark, Ontario, migrated to Los Angeles in 1896 but we found the family Bible in Michigan. Campbells and Murrays were loyalists who migrated to PEI. I also research Strangs on PEI.

Katie Hanzeli, Black Diamond, WA: Q:  If one went from Quebec to Saskatoon, 1910’s would they have crossed Canada or gone via US?  How likely was one route to be used over another? [VZ: Answer was, as I recall, that the Canadian Pacific train was most likely.]

Valorie she/her: One of my Swedish families migrated south -- my great-grandmother's brother had a job with the railroad and I guess he decided he liked hot and damp more than cold and wind.

Dorothy P: Q:  My gg-grandfather, with his family from current day Poland, left Hamburg on May 15,1859 & arrived in Quebec on July 1, 1859.  How might they have travelled from Quebec to Winona, MN?

Alexis Scholz: Very informative. Thank you. Lots to think about. Melanie Hinds: Wonderful presentation. Thank you! Robert Marvin: another WOW! So many research ideas even if I don't expect to do research in Canada.

carol larson: no they left down the west coast...and the ship was quarantined and pastor percival married them.

Sandra Wilson-Alto: Wonderful Dave as always. Patricia Gwin: Dave, I can’t find an entry point for my g-grandfather. He was born in PEI and ended up in California in 1879. Valorie she/her: The crossing cards are super-informative -- even for those Canadians who were just visiting the US, however, early crossings were not recorded or even controlled. The border was completely open for a long time.

Valorie she/her: If you have a question, just unmute yourself and ask! Maybe turn your camera back on if you want.

Dorothy P: Q: Where did you find that ethnicity map of Canada? [Dave gave the title of the book but I didn't write it down. Looks useful!]

Robert Marvin: SIde-TRacked??? Oh so I am not the only one with this "research" technique. LOL

Valorie she/her: remember that before the opening of the continental railroads, many Americans and probably some Canadians went through Panama by train and caught a ship north - both ways!

Lola Weber: Q - 1911 from Iowa to  Regina, Saskatchewan -- how might they go by that time? What railway possible? [Canadian Pacific is the largest carrier]

Valorie she/her: my mother's family went by a "wagon train" in the late 20s from Iowa to Alberta - not everyone had the money for train tickets. More about that trip in the blog post I linked above.

Patricia Gwin: Thank you very much. It was very informative, but I have to go. Goodbye.

Valorie she/her: FAN club research is very productive (in response to some talk of "rabbit holes." You often gain history and perspective).

Leslie rubinson: thank you. Valorie she/her: nice to see you here, Leslie. Phyllis Haynen: Good presentation. Website bookmarked! http://www.cangenealogy.com/index.html.

Dave spoke of disused terms and even what we now consider offensive language in old records and newspaper articles. VZ offered "Scotch" > Scots and Katie told about an article in a Boston newspaper. Valorie she/her: Context is all, as both Dave and Alexis mentioned.

Star Morales: I have a lot of genealogy in Canada, some from Loyalists, some from my grandfather born in London, came to Canada with his 15 siblings, parents, aunt, uncle and several cousins in 1904 and travelled across Canada and came to Seattle after fighting in WW1.  Thank you!

Star Morales: how do you save the chat? [MaryLynn's answer: click the 3 stacked dots in the chat next to where you type. It will be saved in Documents/Zoom].

Valorie she/her: My great-aunt and her new husband camped their way across Canada from Ontario to Vancouver. I would not have known that story but my dad told us that the old tent he pitched for us so we could sleep outside in the summer was the tent they used! This trip would have been before WWI.

Janet Emerson: I enjoyed this presentation, I need to check on newspapers for Waterloo, Ontario. Star Morales: thank you, marylynn and valorie. VZ: Thanks for coming, Star! Melanie Hinds: Bye!!! Alexis Scholz: Adios... Ileen Peterson: Ta Ta!

As always, reply with anything I forgot or got wrong.

All the best,

Valorie
--
https://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her

Dorothy Pretare

The title of book, with the ethnicity map of the 3 prairie provinces, was the third edition, 1975, of the Historical Atlas of Canada by D.G.G. Kerr.  Dave informed me that there is no time period stated on the map and no source for the data was given.

Worldcat.org shows it is available at the libraries of U of WA, Evergreen State College, Western WA University, etc.

Dorothy