Topics

Information on geni.com

Carol Larson

I am working on Norwegian genealogy. I have had good luck searching on digitalarkivet (the national archive site) and Norwegian genealogy support groups. But I am at a loss on how to track my families that are still in Norway. The Norwegian record system is locked for 100 years, so the deaths of families that didn’t emigrate are shut off to research. (Sweden is much more open with current information.) I understand that Norwegian use Geni.com. I don’t know much about this program but I understand I have to subscribe to it. I looked to see if it’s available on the library sites but no luck. Can anyone give me some information about this? I really don’t want to put my family tree out there for them. Thanks so much, carol

Ileen Peterson

Have you checked this out?
Starts tomorrow! Discover Your Scandinavian Ancestors
Inbox

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 11:39 AM Carol Larson via groups.io <Larsonjw=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am working on Norwegian genealogy. I have had good luck searching on digitalarkivet (the national archive site) and Norwegian genealogy support groups.  But I am at a loss on how to track my families that are still in Norway.  The Norwegian record system is locked for 100 years, so the deaths of families that didn’t emigrate are shut off to research.  (Sweden is much more open with current information.)  I understand that Norwegian use Geni.com.  I don’t know much about this program but I understand I have to subscribe to it. I looked to see if it’s available on the library sites but no luck. Can anyone give me some information about this? I really don’t want to put my family tree out there for them. Thanks so much, carol

Carol Larson

I looked at this class and decided I have solved most of my brick walls for the time being
and it was expensive.  I hope it goes well for other members.  I love doing Swedish
Research...I have followed my husband’s family back to 1711...I have copies of their
 Household Examinations for 150 years.  Love my Swedes!

On Jun 28, 2020, at 11:43 AM, Ileen Peterson <ileenpierce@...> wrote:

[...]

Dorothy Pretare

Another possible option is to check the “Scandinavian Interest Group” of the Seattle Genealogical Society.  https://seagensoc.org/index.php  They will have a virtual meeting on July 12th & have posted the Zoom link on their website. (I know nothing about the Group but saw it on the SGS website when I was checking for something else.)

Good luck,

[...]

Thanks so much...and my calendar is free on that day😊😊

[...]

Hi Carol, good to hear from you. I've not done much Norwegian work, but I would start first at the FamilySearch Wiki:

before doing anything else! Geni.com is free, although there is a pay version. I have found lots of Swedes there just by googling their names! And much of the information provided is accurate,
 and I've even found photos. Another free site with a pay option is Geneanet - I find both genealogy and DNA matches there.

Ancestry does have some Norwegian records, and I believe that the Library Edition is still available free if you login to KCLS.org and put in your library card number.

As usual, if you have a tree everywhere, you will have more chances of "catching cousins." Although you can't research on WikiTree, you can fill your tree with all the sources you have, which is
the best "cousin bait." If you do DNA, you can upload to FamilyTreeDNA and MyHeritage as well as Gedmatch, and all three allow uploads of gedcoms as well as DNA. And I believe Rootsweb's
trees are finally online again.

Hope this helps,

Valorie

Carol Larson

Thank you so much for all your suggestions...I can't wait to get started.  I have done some of this stuff for a long time but there is lots of new things out there and I need to jump in.  I do realize I feel a little fearsome to try the new things. I will keep you updated.

Thanks so much for the chat today I was a little delayed getting on so I am afraid I may have missed some of the information on My Heritage.  I will try the free site.

I used Genline for a long time to research my Swedish roots.  It was so long ago and my computer was so ancient that it took 30 seconds per page to read through each entry.  But I did track down lots of family history that way.  And I had some great visits to Augustana College in Rock Island, IL.  And now many of those records are on Ancestry.

One minor housekeeping detail.  I have not paid dues for SKCGS.  Where should I send a check or should I pay on line ?

Thanks again,  Carol Whitley Larson

[...]

Barbara Mattoon

Carol,

Go to the web page, SKCGS.org.  There is a membership application there and instructions on how to proceed.  Also, there are instructions in the blog post that was published on the web page today.

Best Wishes,

Barbara Mattoon