Topics

"An Argument for Continental History"

Twitter find today: An Argument for Continental History, by Dr. Kevin Gannon in the Teaching United States History blog:

I find this article useful as a way to re-think the way we are telling our family history. The article concludes,

Conceiving of US history as a continental phenomenon from the start, as opposed to something it eventually became after a series of westward movements, not only brings our best scholarly understanding into the foreground, but it creates a rhetorical and analytical space in which deeper understandings can take place. If we mean what we say about the intellectual and civic importance of teaching US history, we need to take up the challenge of continental history.

It's a short article, and well-worth your time.

Valorie

Kate Ohara <ohara.kate1@...>

Thank you for sending this

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 12:45 PM Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:
Twitter find today: An Argument for Continental History, by Dr. Kevin Gannon in the Teaching United States History blog:

I find this article useful as a way to re-think the way we are telling our family history. The article concludes,

Conceiving of US history as a continental phenomenon from the start, as opposed to something it eventually became after a series of westward movements, not only brings our best scholarly understanding into the foreground, but it creates a rhetorical and analytical space in which deeper understandings can take place. If we mean what we say about the intellectual and civic importance of teaching US history, we need to take up the challenge of continental history.

It's a short article, and well-worth your time.

Valorie

rebecca dare

Very good article. Thanks!