Was: Genealogy Chat Notes: 23 Nov 2020: Ancestry Membership sale ends tomorrow!

Thank you Rebecca! I gave this hint to my husband. :-)

Valorie

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 6:52 AM rebecca dare via groups.io
<rdare2@...> wrote:

Just a quick note -- half off Ancestry.com ends tomorrow (Nov. 30). I signed up (again) for a year of World Explorer for $149 + tax. I "gifted" myself, which is what this is categorized as. Rebecca
:: snip quoted text::

genfreak@comcast.net

Darn, I just re-upped in October. Knew I should have waited.
Rosemary

<rdare2@...> wrote:

Just a quick note -- half off Ancestry.com ends tomorrow (Nov. 30). I signed up (again) for a year of World Explorer for $149 + tax. I "gifted" myself, which is what this is categorized as. Rebecca
:: snip quoted text::

Carol Larson

How does this work? It says the 50% off is only good on new memberships. I checked and mine expires on December 30. Does this mean I should cancel it and then start a gift membership? I have found it quite frustrating to speak with customer service folks at ancestry because they seem to send all those calls off shore and I have trouble making myself understood. Oh that’s an ongoing problem what was I saying? So how do I go about taking advantage of the 50% off? Thanks so much, carol larson

<rdare2@...> wrote:

Just a quick note -- half off Ancestry.com ends tomorrow (Nov. 30). I signed up (again) for a year of World Explorer for $149 + tax. I "gifted" myself, which is what this is categorized as. Rebecca
:: snip quoted text::

Kathryn Schultz

Thanks, Rebecca, for the information that we can
 give ourselves Ancestry “gift memberships.”
I didn’t think they would let us do that, but I’m
glad I was wrong. This prevents the auto-renewal
problem, too.

I, too, had tried to hint about it to my husband, which
went nowhere with his anti-genealogy attitude.
So today I gave myself the 6-months World Explorer
subscription for $74, an amount I can afford using
my Social Security money. Merry Christmas to me
and to all of you, too!

Kathryn Schultz

<rdare2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Just a quick note -- half off Ancestry.com ends tomorrow (Nov. 30). I signed up (again) for a year of World Explorer for $149 + tax. I "gifted" myself, which is what this is categorized as. Rebecca

:: snip quoted text::

rebecca dare

Hope all of you who wanted to have gotten to get your "gift" membership to Ancestry. I don't know if it was covered but I think you can make your gift up to 90 days out. What I mean is you buy the gift now, but have it take effect say at the end of January or February. I've heard some people have done that when their current membership hadn't yet expired. Hope this works for any interested. Rebecca

On Sunday, November 29, 2020, 02:05:20 PM PST, Carol Larson via groups.io <larsonjw@...> wrote:

How does this work? It says the 50% off is only good on new memberships. I checked and mine expires on December 30. Does this mean I should cancel it and then start a gift membership? I have found it quite frustrating to speak with customer service folks at ancestry because they seem to send all those calls off shore and I have trouble making myself understood. Oh that’s an ongoing problem what was I saying? So how do I go about taking advantage of the 50% off? Thanks so much, carol larson
> On Nov 29, 2020, at 1:44 PM, titusduff@... wrote:
>
> Darn, I just re-upped in October.  Knew I should have waited.
> Rosemary
>

>> On 11/29/2020 1:38 PM Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:
>>

>> Thank you Rebecca! I gave this hint to my husband. :-)
>>
>> Valorie
>>
>>> On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 6:52 AM rebecca dare via groups.io
>>> <rdare2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a quick note -- half off Ancestry.com ends tomorrow (Nov. 30). I signed up (again) for a year of World Explorer for $149 + tax. I "gifted" myself, which is what this is categorized as. Rebecca
>>
>> :: snip quoted text::

J & T Arnold

Carol,

I did the online chat because I have the same issue with some of the customer service people I end up with. I should take my dad's advice and just hang up and start over (hoping you'll get someone that is easier to understand). My dad was hard of hearing and people with a southern "drawl" - as he called it - were hard for him to understand).

I got it in writing from the Customer Service person that I would need to cancel my existing membership (expires Jan 20) and then 'gift' myself a new membership to start January 21. I think it's the only way to trick the system. I'm just hoping I don't have to call on January 21st to have my accounts combined. I'll be devastated if I lose everything!

Tracy

<rdare2@...> wrote:

Just a quick note -- half off Ancestry.com ends tomorrow (Nov. 30).
I signed up (again) for a year of World Explorer for $149 + tax. I
"gifted" myself, which is what this is categorized as. Rebecca
:: snip quoted text::

Kathryn Schultz

My subscription had expired back in October,
and I had waited to resubscribe, hoping for
a better deal I could afford. I’m hoping they
don’t balk at my “gift membership” to myself
since my subscription had alreay expired.

You aren’t the only one having trouble understanding
and getting their off-shore customer service
representatives to understand you (and I am one
of those Southerners your father couldn’t understand).
Last  month I was trying to get all my genealogy emails
consolidated under one email address (so they didn’’t
disappear in the deluge of political contribution requests!).
Ancestry wouldn’t let me, as online it said I already also had
the email address I was trying to change to. I went round
and round with the foreign person on the ohone, never found
out why they say I was already using that email, and never
could get it changed.

If you want ro talk to someone with a lovely accent, call
MyHeritage’s customer service, and you’ll often get
a very pleasant person in Ireland.

Kathryn Schultz

On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 5:10 PM J & T Arnold <blackhrn@...> wrote:
Carol,

I did the online chat because I have the same issue with some of the customer service people I end up with.  I should take my dad's advice and just hang up and start over (hoping you'll get someone that is easier to understand).  My dad was hard of hearing and people with a southern "drawl" - as he called it - were hard for him to understand).

I got it in writing from the Customer Service person that I would need to cancel my existing membership (expires Jan 20) and then 'gift' myself a new membership to start January 21. I think it's the only way to trick the system.  I'm just hoping I don't have to call on January 21st to have my accounts combined.  I'll be devastated if I lose everything!

Tracy

How does this work? It says the 50% off is only good on new memberships. I checked and mine expires on December 30. Does this mean I should cancel it and then start a gift membership? I have found it quite frustrating to speak with customer service folks at ancestry because they seem to send all those calls off shore and I have trouble making myself understood. Oh that’s an ongoing problem what was I saying? So how do I go about taking advantage of the 50% off? Thanks so much, carol larson
> On Nov 29, 2020, at 1:44 PM, titusduff@... wrote:
>
> Darn, I just re-upped in October.  Knew I should have waited.
> Rosemary
>

>> On 11/29/2020 1:38 PM Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:
>>

>> Thank you Rebecca! I gave this hint to my husband. :-)
>>
>> Valorie
>>
>>> On Sun, Nov 29, 2020 at 6:52 AM rebecca dare via groups.io
>>> <rdare2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>>
>>> Just a quick note -- half off Ancestry.com ends tomorrow (Nov. 30).
>>> I signed up (again) for a year of World Explorer for $149 + tax. I
>>> "gifted" myself, which is what this is categorized as. Rebecca
>>
>> :: snip quoted text::

Carol Larson

Just signed up for my heritage so I will look forward to calling their 800 number and hear the wonderful Irish accent. We made several trips to Dublin a few years ago and our hotel was around the block from the Ancestry office. I had to knock but they told me that they didn’t welcome customers at that location  hope you are in the sunny part ofSKCGS  carol