Ravensdale Cemetery

Hi Rosemary, https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/77011/ravensdale-cemetery does not look encouraging.

I'm going to add the main group in case anyone has more information. The Black Diamond Historical Society or Maple Valley Historical Society might have more information as well.

Valorie

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 1:28 PM genfreak@... <titusduff@...> wrote:
Hi Valorie,
I was wondering if you know if the cemetery is accessible.  My uncle is buried there.
Thanks,
Rosemary

Sherrie Evans

I will be at the museum tomorrow and do some checking for you

On Oct 30, 2020, at 5:04 PM, Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:

Hi Rosemary, https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/77011/ravensdale-cemetery does not look encouraging.

I'm going to add the main group in case anyone has more information. The Black Diamond Historical Society or Maple Valley Historical Society might have more information as well.

Valorie

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 1:28 PM genfreak@... <titusduff@...> wrote:
Hi Valorie,
I was wondering if you know if the cemetery is accessible.  My uncle is buried there.
Thanks,
Rosemary

forscher

In the ‘Directory of Cemeteries and Funeral Homes in Washington State’ copyright 1990 (that is old!) indicates that if you want access to contact the Black Diamond police dept. I was there many years ago to take photos for the King County Preservation Office and did not know to contact the police first, but it was very accessible and we didn’t notice any ‘no trespassing’ signs.

An interesting side note: Rosalie Boucher (1845-1921) was originally buried in the Ravensdale Cemetery, but her headstone showed up in the Saar Pioneer Cemetery sometime after the ‘Memorial Records of South King County, WA Volume I’ was published by SKCGS in 1981. Her story is on pages 56-58 in another SKCGS publication, ‘A History of Saar Pioneer Cemetery And Its Inhabitants.’

Karen

I will be at the museum tomorrow and do some checking for you

On Oct 30, 2020, at 5:04 PM, Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:

Hi Rosemary, https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/77011/ravensdale-cemetery does not look encouraging.

I'm going to add the main group in case anyone has more information. The Black Diamond Historical Society or Maple Valley Historical Society might have more information as well.

Valorie

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 1:28 PM genfreak@... <titusduff@...> wrote:

Hi Valorie,

I was wondering if you know if the cemetery is accessible.  My uncle is buried there.

Thanks,

Rosemary

MARYLYNN STRICKLAND

Aha, Karen, that raises a question--does the King County Preservation Office have the photos you took?  And are they available, either in print or digitally?

MaryLynn

[...]

I’ve got them somewhere! Please let me know if you really want to see them before I spent time searching.

Thanks, Karen

[...]

I guess that would be up to Rosemary as to whether she would like to see the photos or if she prefers to visit the cemetery itself since her uncle is buried there.

MaryLynn

[...]

Rosemary: are you willing to share the name of your uncle?

I found the photos I took of Ravensdale from May 2008. They look pretty much like the photos from the three sites Valorie shared earlier.

Karen

[...]

genfreak@comcast.net

No worries about the photos.  My uncle was just 6 months old when he died of Cholera Infautum.  So I doubt there would still be a marker for him.
Thanks for all the help.
Rosemary

On 10/30/2020 9:51 PM MARYLYNN STRICKLAND <mlstrick2@...> wrote:

[...]

His name was Frederick Wayne Ruppert.  On his death certificate, the last name was spelled as Rupert.  Two p's is correct.
Rosemary

On 10/31/2020 10:24 AM forscher <forscher@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for the pictures!

[...]

Katie Hanzeli

OK, this is funny,
I’ve been watching this conversation with interest, and now you have my attention.
I have Frederick Ruppert’s in my family. One was my great-great grandfather and one, his son, my great-grandmother’s brother.
Now I must ask, did your little Frederick’s line come from Ohio, Kansas or California? If one of those, we may have a family connection. The Frederick name was continued around the Rupprecht / Ruppert family quite a bit.
Thanks!
Katie Hanzeli

Some photos here: http://www.ghosttownsofwashington.com/ravensdale-cemetery.html

More info here: http://www.interment.net/data/us/wa/king/ravensdale/index.htm

--

http://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her

forscher

Some more photos of Ravensdale Cemetery May 2008.

Karen

[...]

Last of my May 2008 photos. That is Barbara Heutchy, our cemetery tour guide for the day, and Tom Hitzroth from the King Co. Preservation office.

Karen

[...]

Katie,
My Fredericks(Fred, Sr and Fred Jr) came from Germany. They came west by way of Upper Sandusky, Ohio. Fred Sr. married Caroline Balduf there and headed west. He was a brick mason and built the Brick Tavern in Roslyn. I am sure he built other buildings there and in the Cle Elum and Ellensburg. Fred Jr was a miner. He married Nellie Mae Weddle Hawn in Yakima. Are we close?
Rosemary

Rosemary Titus
TitusDuff Bookkeeping Services LLC
FORWARDING NOTICE: This email is intended solely for the person(s) directly identified above as recipients. You are hereby notified that, without the advance explicit permission of the sender, any forward, dissemination or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited.

On 10/31/2020 10:43 AM Katie Hanzeli <khanzeli@...> wrote:

[...]

Oh, these are wonderful!  I am so glad that you took them.  If it is ok with you, I would like to use the photo of the entrance to the cemetery with Frederick's information.
Thanks!!!
Rosemary

On 10/31/2020 10:51 AM forscher <forscher@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, of course Rosemary.

Karen

[...]

On 10/31/2020 11:32 AM forscher <forscher@...> wrote:

Yes, of course Rosemary.

Karen

[...]

Today I learned that you can visit the Ravensdale cemetery at any time. Evidently it is fairly overgrown so do be prepared for that but it is an open area that you can walk through

[...]

Society project??
Katie

On Oct 31, 2020, at 4:27 PM, Sherrie Evans <sherrie.evans@...> wrote:

[...]

Janet Emerson

I think Ravensdale Cemetery could be a good project to think about.