Legacy search ideas for FREE Fold3

Marilyn Schunke

I lead the Eastside Genealogical Society Legacy Special Interest Group to which SKCGS members joined several years ago. I just sent this message to our group. The steps included in this message are specific to using Legacy Family Tree software. However, they might give you ideas if you use other software, so I thought I would share. I’m not modifying my message to my group…you are seeing it just as I sent it.

We won’t be meeting tomorrow, but there’s some good news in that. Fold3 is offering free Military searches from May 21 thru 25. Here’s some Legacy tips on getting prepared to take advantage of that offer. What you search will depend on how you have consistently entered your events or notes. But the following should give you some ideas on what you can do today to set yourself up to successfully search in Fold3. REMEMBER: After each search the “How to Look” field returns to “Equal to” so you must appropriately change it for each new search.

SEARCH FIND:

• Individual – Event Name CONTAINS Military
  • Individual – Event Notes CONTAINS Military
  • Individual – Event Description EQUAL TO or CONTAINS -specific military event, i.e. Civil War.   Note: World War I will Return World War II as well
  • Individual – Event Notes-General CONTAINS Military or a specific war
  • Individual – Event Notes-Research CONTAINS Military or a specific war

In order to maintain a list of any results, Apply a Hashtag. I used MilitaryFold3. I don’t have a lot because half my ancestry is Quaker. But I was just assisting Janet Camarata on this exercise. She has over 100. She had consistently  used the Event Description to capture Civil War, War of 1812, World War II, etc. So she hash tagged those as well.

In case you don’t remember our Hashtag session. Here’s some quick tips.

1. Create List using ideas above
  2. Select Options (lower left button) from the resulting Search List
  3. Select Add Hashtag to Everyone in List…
  4. Highlight desired hashtag, i.e. MilitaryFold3
  5. Select Assign (upper right button)

Tips to PRINT the newly created MilitaryFold3 list

SEARCH FIND:

1. Individual – Hashtag Equal To (select from the dropdown, so your item might be different if you used a hashtag other than MilitaryFold3)
  2. Select Create List
  3. Select Options (lower left button) from the resulting Search List
  4. Select Print
  5. Use the various tabs to title your resulting file and to select fields to print in up to 3 rows

Happy preparing Legacy and searching in Fold3.

Your EGS Legacy SIG Leader,

Marilyn Mullins Schunke

Covington, Washington 98042-4854

425-417-0908

You are receiving this email because you attended a Legacy SIG meeting sponsored by Eastside Genealogical Society or requested notification and information regarding upcoming  meetings. If you no longer plan to attend Legacy SIG meetings or received this email in error and would like to be removed from the list, please REPLY to this email and type REMOVE in front of the subject line; and your name will be removed from the distribution list.

Join Society@SKCGS.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.