Summer vacation for the Research Group?

One of my friends in the Society, Dorothy, sent me this suggestion today: "consider taking a summer break...for both the GG-DNA & TUG SIGs.  Any questions for those groups could be posted in the groups.io or/& discussed in the Chat Monday."

What do you think? If someone wants to step up and lead one of these meetings, I'm absolutely willing to set it up and help out, and send out notes. But a bit of a summer break sounds wonderful. I'm current on all notes, and they are all added to the Wiki now. We seem to have less enthusiasm lately for creating timelines and sharing them for the purpose of collaboration. Perhaps we all need a summer off to recharge our genealogy batteries. We can continue to create timelines in GDocs and share them via this online group over the summer.

It's been a long year!

Valorie

PS: reminder that our seminar, a day with Judy Russell is only two and a half weeks away. Get your registration in now if you have not yet sent it in! http://skcgs.org/seminar.html or register onlinehttps://south-king-county-genealogical-society.square.site/product/laws-legacies-and-losers-a-day-with-judy-russell-the-legal-genealogist/26

Sounds good to me. I agree that no meetings will feel hard. Since chats don't have topics agreed upon in advance, everyone is welcome to share breakthroughs, challenges, questions, answers -- everything. I will ask in the main group if this would be welcome.

Thank you for putting my hesitation about this step and offering a good alternative!

I'm sorry I had forgotten about Animap, Alexis. If something doesn't make it into the chat, sometimes I don't remember.

Valorie

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 9:12 AM ALEXIS SCHOLZ <alexisjoelscholz@...> wrote:
I am personally feeling torn about shutting down everything except the Chat for three months.  For me, posting in IO is not the same as face time and real-time collaboration. Part of it but not the most satisfying.

What if we offered another perhaps shorter or not extra Chat for sharing on an off week?  Would anyone be interested?  I could probably come up with a few suggestions for people to think about "bringing" to a forum like their favorite go-to records and why, current work in progress, etc.  I think that it's also possible that if you and MaryLynn aren't involved, people may not want to come. And I can understand that you all are tired.  I have too many irons in the fire but not enough interaction, and therein lies the challenge.

As to TUG, I guess that will give me extra time to work on my AniMap since you had written me in.

Alexis
Alexis' website: East Tennessee Footsteps

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." - Philo of Alexandria