Bridget "Biddy" Jane Martin's 1856 Death in Jefferson County, Indiana #Research Opportunity #research #researchopportunity

Melanie Hinds

Hello! I know we might not be meeting for a bit but if anyone wants a break from researching their family I'd appreciate any thoughts/suggestions you may have on my current person of interest: my husband's 3X GG  Bridget "Biddy" Jane Martin (c. 1784-1856). A timeline is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1POW4tJD4v8sNl3b1tRbQ3z8MrmN7ifgCrD-mFJWhbDc/edit?usp=sharing

We all have our own research techniques; I use a spreadsheet and will color-code locations to help me distinguish geographic areas and will also use different colors so federal/state census records jump out at me. I hope the kaleidoscope of colors isn't too busy! Also, the spreadsheet has a tab for notes/questions that I have posted which I need to address in order to explain inconsistencies that I have raised.

Briefly, the family written history (from 1925) reflects that 45-year old John Cummiskey married a 16-year old Irish girl named ______ Mooney. [Talk about your May-December romances!] They left England or Ireland (no specific country provided but I think it was Ireland) c. 1800 and arrived in the U.S. in 1800-1801 settling first in the area of present-day Baltimore and eventually settling in Pennsylvania c. 1803. They supposedly had 16 children but I have only been able to verify about 8, which are on the spreadsheet.

Within the last month or so I connected with a Cummiskey "cousin" who sent me some photos of a family bible from 1900 which reflects that Biddy died in Monroe Township, Jefferson County, Indiana, on 29 Oct 1856. But other than that entry which was written in 1900 (or later) I have not been able to find any reliable independent source to confirm that she died on or around that date in Jefferson County, Indiana. The county did not start issuing death certificates/records until 1882. I am trying to search any online Probate records for that county, but if there are any probate files for her I suspect they are not available online yet. I was able to obtain a bit of information from the Jefferson County, IN historical society but nothing to confirm her death there - no newspaper notice, no local story, zip, nada! And that is all I am trying to find at this point.

I also have other issues relating to her last name as I am not sure it was Martin, nor do I know yet where she is buried, but those might be challenges for another day.

Anyway, if anyone feels like taking a look at my research and chiming in with questions/thoughts/suggestions for resources I would really appreciate it.

Finally, to all those veterans who are on this group - Thank you for your service!

Best wishes for a safe & fun Memorial Day holiday!

Melanie

Thank you Melanie! I was able to get into your spreadsheet and read it. No suggestions so far but I'll think on it. You might want to enter your link into the Research-Group wiki: https://skcgs.groups.io/g/Research-Group/wiki

By the way, group members: any of you can add or remove your case description and link from the wiki. If you sent along a Google Doc or Sheet and shared it with us, and it isn't there, please add it!

Valorie