Thomas Lyle born England, in Sunnydale 1930 #research opportunity #research

D Kite <kites50@...>

Hi, thank you for letting me join this group.

You have a very good website which led me here.

I am hoping to find out more about a relative who I believe emigrated to the US and is shown in Sunnydale in 1930.

I would be grateful for any advice about where I could find out about his life and any descendants. There is a document here with more details: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UoTV2p51FLNpi3p0T7KVE_3vA034Jz7T?usp=sharing

Thank you,

Debbie Kite

Trish Sowards <trishseaward@...>

Greetings:

I found one entry in the Trees in Ancestry which appears to be him and has the names of his parents from his death certificate, a World War I draft registration card, etc.  It notes he was naturalized.

Do you have access to Ancestry?  If not, I can send the details.

D Kite <kites50@...>

Hi Trish,

Many thanks for responding. I do have some ancestry access - a free account and access to records via my public library login (free from home for now as libraries are closed). But I don’t think I can see trees, so I would be very grateful for the information there, whenever is convenient for you.

I was trying to look at a map to see where the house was but it looks like everything has changed from names to numbers.

Thanks

Debbie

I found one entry in the Trees in Ancestry which appears to be him and has the names of his parents from his death certificate, a World War I draft registration card, etc.  It notes he was naturalized.

Do you have access to Ancestry?  If not, I can send the details.

Trish Sowards <trishseaward@...>

You might be able to get his obituary with his death date.  Once, they could be gotten free from the state library.  Then, years ago, there was a charge for them through the Pierce County Genealogical Society.  I don't know how to get them now but probably someone from the genealogical society could tell you.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 4:26 AM D Kite via groups.io <kites50=tiscali.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Trish,

Many thanks for responding. I do have some ancestry access - a free account and access to records via my public library login (free from home for now as libraries are closed). But I don’t think I can see trees, so I would be very grateful for the information there, whenever is convenient for you.

I was trying to look at a map to see where the house was but it looks like everything has changed from names to numbers.

Thanks

Debbie

I found one entry in the Trees in Ancestry which appears to be him and has the names of his parents from his death certificate, a World War I draft registration card, etc.  It notes he was naturalized.

Do you have access to Ancestry?  If not, I can send the details.

MARYLYNN STRICKLAND

Hello Debbie,

Welcome to our group and thank you for bringing us your search for Thomas H. Lyle.  I have noticed something that raises some questions.

You stated that your Thomas' middle name is Hunter.
You show him in the 1891 England census.
In that census his mother's name is Elizabeth.

Do you know what year he emigrated from England?

I raise this question because the Thomas H. Lyle in the 1930 census seems to be Thomas Henry Lyle.
In that census he states that he immigrated to the US in 1886.  He would have been 8 years old.
The Thomas H. Lyle with a wife named Mary shows up in many other documents including a death certificate that states he was born in Ireland and his mother was named Mary.

I do not mean to rule out the Thomas in the 1930 census; I just feel there could be some discrepancy.

MaryLynn Strickland

I found one entry in the Trees in Ancestry which appears to be him and has the names of his parents from his death certificate, a World War I draft registration card, etc.  It notes he was naturalized.

Do you have access to Ancestry?  If not, I can send the details.

D Kite <kites50@...>

Hi MaryLynn, thank you very much for your email.

Yes, as I have done more searching it looks like it might not be the same person due to the middle name discrepancy and the naturalisation date.

In the 1930 census which is the first place I found him (as “Thomas H”), his father was born in Scotland, (matches) mother Ireland (doesn’t match but all her older siblings were). In the other censuses that I’ve now found the parents are stated as both born England in 1905 and both Scotland in 1910. I do wonder how accurate the death certificate info may be as presumably it depends on the son or daughter having the right information. The death cert. accurate date of birth in Feb 1878 matches the q1 (Jan-March) 1878 birth registration.

I will do some more checking to see if there are emigration records for either one with middle names, and Uk death records before I rule him out.

Trish Sowards has kindly offered to pass me the info from a tree this Thomas is named on in Ancestry US (that I don’t have access to), which may also help.

Thank you again – I will let you know the outcome.