Looking for the parents of my Great Grandfather #Research Opportunity #research

This came to the wrong address, so it was missed for today's meeting. We'll take it up throughout September individually, and then come together on Monday, October 5th to discuss this and other cases. -v

=====================

Timeline Report for John Nikischer

1866 Birth Nov 1866 Austria Hungary

1906 Immigration 39 26 Jan 1906 Ellis Island, NY

1941 Death 74 10 Apr 1941 Coraopolis, Allegheny County, PA

1941 Burial 74 12 Apr 1941 Coraopolis, Allegheny County, PA

Occupation Tailor

Hi all,

Hope I am following the instructions correctly.  Need help with finding Hungarian/Austrian birth/church records.

I don’t expect to be at today’s meeting until around 5 pm, as I have a Doctor’s appointment.

Barbara Foor Larson

=============================

Please add notes, facts and citations if possible. -v

Hi Barbara, I got locked out of my email and the rest of Google services tonight, but they can't keep me out of Groups.io! I can't add this information to the Google doc until I regain access, however.

In a search of FamilySearch.org, I found https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VF4F-XM6 which is a marriage license for  John and his bride Annie Kopfer 27 Feb 1908 in Lehigh Township, Northampton, Pennsylvania.

This record gives his place of birth as Nemethuwar, Eisenberg, Hungary and says that his father's name was Louis and his mother was Maria. Unfortunately only first names are given for both mothers. A bit of information is better than nothing, however.

John does not seem to be in the FamilySearch Family Tree yet, or at least this record has not been linked to him or Annie. I suggest linking the record to John and Annie, both of which you will have to create as a new person, probably. When you do that, the system will search the whole tree for he and his parents, and that's exactly what you want. Remember, the FS Family Tree wants only one profile for each person who has ever lived. You will not regret doing some work on people in your tree in FamilySearch.

All the best,

Valorie

Tina Lawson

Good find Valorie! According to this record, if John Nikischer was age 22 when he married on 27 Feb 1908, his birth year is estimated to be 1886. Barbara, is the birth year for your John 1866 or 1886?

Tina Lawson

Barbara, there is a citizenship petition for a John Nikischer, born Nov 10, 1866 in the Pennsylvania Federal Naturalization Records, 1795-1931. This John was born in Heiligen Kreutz, Austria; his race is listed as German. Spouse is Julia Killer. Three children: Thresa, Julia, and Caroline. The record is on Ancestry.com.