Topics

Topics for the next few months

Hi folks, Janet Stroebel has offered to present this fall, leaving us with the July and August meeting topics to decide upon. I recently came across some short, simple videos from FamilyHistoryFanatics about creating Leeds Method charts. What do you think about doing a little workshop session using at least the first, beginner video?

All we need to do in preparation is gather some second cousin matches, matches. Take a look at the video to see what I mean:

Create a DNA Leeds Method Chart Quickly to Cluster Your DNA Matches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74LJyjqo9c

There is a second video called CUSTOMIZE Your Leeds Method Chart to Cluster Your DNA Matches: https://youtu.be/9qqe4z7ayTE

I find this one more confusing and don't think it is suitable for a workshop meeting.

What do you think? Have any of you tried the Leeds Method?

Valorie

Janet Stroebel

That sounds like a good idea. I have tried the Leeds Method a couple of times, but I haven't completed the process to reach any conclusions. You've motivated me to get back to it.

Thanks!
Janet Stroebel

On Saturday, June 13, 2020, 03:22:36 PM PDT, Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:

[...]

Kathy Johnson

I have done the Leeds method.  Just the simple one that aims to divide your matches into four - hopefully your four grandparents' lines.

It was simple.  I would love to know a next step - one that can break them down in great grandparents lines.

Kathy Johnson

[...]

I went back to update my Leeds method chart after watching the first video. I had to go to 8 colors before every match between 90-400 cM had a color. Do you know if that is usual or what it might indicate? I need to watch the second video and perhaps also search for other information.

[...]

Call me jealous.  I got 5.

Kathy Johnson

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 10:57 AM Janet Stroebel via groups.io <janetstroebel=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Valorie,
I went back to update my Leeds method chart after watching the first video. I had to go to 8 colors before every match between 90-400 cM had a color. Do you know if that is usual or what it might indicate?

Sometimes stronger matches than expected can mean that you are related in multiple ways. Pay attention to the number of segments. Unfortunately if you are working with Ancestry matches, there is very little segment data to work with, but the number of segments is given.

I'm going to assume that your top 8 groups will correspond with your 8 great-grandparents, which is pretty cool!

Valorie