Where are we uploading documents that we discover in our research?

Melanie Hinds

I have been reading through the earlier emails that have been sent in this group to try to get myself caught up with what has been discussed. I didn't find any discussion about this so I am throwing it out for consideration:

I started researching Theron B. Corey (T.B. Corey) [He may also have gone by the name Thomas B. Corey though I haven't found any evidence of that yet] who was the Superintendent of the Oregon Improvement Company and was responsible for the Franklin and Newcastle mines. I found his death certificate (which as far as I can tell has not been previously found, but I could be wrong about that) and was thinking that it might be good to have this document somewhere, even though he did not die in the 1894 disaster.

I'm assuming we should just upload things to the Ancestry Tree that has been created? I don't have access to that tree (or even know the name) so if that is where we will be uploading materials that is good to know.

And should Corey be added to the "floating" tree that has been created if he is not already there? Just curious what, if anything I should do with his death certificate? I have already added it to Family Search  [ Theron B. Corey 9ZWM-R5D].

Melanie

Although Mr. Corey was not Black (I think?), he was instrumental in bringing our folks of interest out to Franklin and Newcastle. Although we began with those who died, because we knew their names and date of death, we're interested in documenting *all* the Black miners and their families in Franklin. I have a feeling we'll be branching out to all those in south King County and beyond, since miners routinely moved to where the work was, and Franklin mines only operated for a few years, just like those in the Cedar Mountain, Issaquah/Gilman, Newcastle, Ravensdale, etc. areas.

If you find something of interest that isn't too large, just attach it to an email to the group, and it will be saved in the Pictures area. Or if you have files of other types, or very large images, just login to the group and upload them directly. Otherwise, I think it's best to upload/attach to the tree, and tag each person of interest in it so that it shows up in their profile. The same thing works in FamilySearch and WikiTree. If you know a person has a FSFT profile, or WT profile, you can note the number in Comments, which will let interested parties find them there. 🙂

Our goal is to find living descendants, so I try to follow up on everyone in the family, including the miners' siblings and their wives' sibs too.

Valorie

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 8:56 AM Melanie Hinds <hindsgenealogy@...> wrote:
[...]

Understood - MaryLynn suggested I add T.B. Corey to the Ancestry tree as an unrelated person. I can do that and then just upload documents there.

Melanie