[SKCGS] [DM] [SKCGS] George Moore Green

rebecca dare

I didn't know if the group would be interested as he's a white miner. But happy to share! and would welcome any new information anyone comes up with! Thanks, Rebecca

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 03:32:57 PM PDT, Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:

Hi Rebecca, you sent this post to the owner address. Can you please resend to Black-Heritage-Franklin@SKCGS.groups.io so the group can see?

Valorie

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 1:32 PM rebecca dare via groups.io <rdare2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Melanie - thanks for getting back to me. Yes, that is my great grandfather's FS number. My family tree on Ancestry.com is 1 REBECCA DARE if you have any desire to see it.

I too am getting more and more interested in mining history -- never thought I would. I think George started working in mines in England when he was 12 or so. I've only been doing much genealogy for the last 3 years or so. And my tree is definitely a work in progress!

We had a great time in Illinois - in fact, we were happy to get to Illinois after most of the states we'd driven through so far didn't seem to think there was a pandemic going on! We enjoyed seeing Streator and also went to Bishop Hill. Have you been there? What town are you in?

In Streator we searched for the grave of George Moore Green's first wife, Mary Bruce, and an infant. But the graveyard was in the middle of a cornfield so I guess you can't see it until the corn is cut! I'm a descendent of his second wife, Achsah Blanchard.

We also visited a DNA cousin (who descended from GMG and his first wife) in Red Lodge, Montana. She gave me a photo of Red Lodge in its heavy mining days. Mines all over the place!

I do hope to work on the black miners here as well as expand my information about the Greens who moved to Roslyn, WA. Wish I'd started genealogy years and years ago!

Rebecca

On Wednesday, October 27, 2021, 11:51:48 AM PDT, <society+owner@skcgs.groups.io> wrote:

Rebecca,

It was nice chatting with you this past Monday during the SKCGS call regarding your ancestor George Moore Green. I went to Family Seach and found who I assume is your ancestor: K6QD-2CJ . How interesting that he was recruited from Illinois to go to Washington and work there. I'm finding all this talk and research about mining in Washington, and the use of black miners, very interesting, as it's not something that is part of my family history, nor my husband's.

I live about 90 minutes from Streator so while it is not right next door, I am certainly closer to it than you are. :)

Melanie

Hi Rebecca, it's all part of the context! There were not lots of interracial marriages back then, but they did happen. And to me, one of the wonderful parts of the Franklin story is how the strike-breakers ended up working alongside the strikers; Blacks and Whites working together and becoming union brothers.

Valorie