Franklin gossip

MARYLYNN STRICKLAND

I have got to get this spreadsheet available to others in this group.  I spent the afternoon browsing through the Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper from 1892 - 1900 just using "Franklin mines" for searching.  I caught up on lots of gossip and some murders and trials of the suspects.  I followed the trials and tribulations of miners' wives who sued for damages after the 1894 fire. And I found some articles such as the one attached here.

Because I have worked on the spreadsheet for a few weeks, I recognize names in the articles.  And those names are starting to have personality.  As we add people to the trees, we can attach the newspaper articles too.

Somebody please figure out how to have the spreadsheet and articles available for each other!  This is TOO MUCH FUN!

MaryLynn

We can't safely share a link to the spreadsheet here in the group that allows editing, but it should be OK to allow viewing. Those who are members of the group here can be invited as editors, at least those who are confident with spreadsheets. As for the articles, we can each upload those to the profile of the person in the tree, and take care to link it to the others mentioned who are already in the tree as well. I suggest transcribing each article to make it easier. By the way, Chronicling America has the OCR text -- starting with that can sometimes make the transcription faster. We can add comments mentioning those mentioned who are not yet in the tree. CA has pretty good citations premade for us as well I think!

Valorie

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 9:37 PM MARYLYNN STRICKLAND <mlstrick2@...> wrote:
I have got to get this spreadsheet available to others in this group.  I spent the afternoon browsing through the Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper from 1892 - 1900 just using "Franklin mines" for searching.  I caught up on lots of gossip and some murders and trials of the suspects.  I followed the trials and tribulations of miners' wives who sued for damages after the 1894 fire. And I found some articles such as the one attached here.

Because I have worked on the spreadsheet for a few weeks, I recognize names in the articles.  And those names are starting to have personality.  As we add people to the trees, we can attach the newspaper articles too.

Somebody please figure out how to have the spreadsheet and articles available for each other!  This is TOO MUCH FUN!

MaryLynn

Melanie Hinds

I want to take a step back and just confirm something: the way we are adding these "unrelated" people to the Ancestry tree, since these miners (for the most part) were not related to each other (there may be a few exceptions).

I was planning to follow this method to add Theron B. Corey to the tree.

Melanie

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 1:48 AM Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@...> wrote:
[...]

Melanie, I looked at Ancestry and your addition of Theron B. Corey--Well Done!  thank you so much for adding this man who was instrumental in bringing the Black miners to Franklin in the first place.

[...]

Yes, Ancestry & MyHeritage make it difficult to add an unconnected (so far) person. We decided it was worth the trouble because some of them may connect at some point anyway.