Monday, 9 January 2023 Genetic Genealogy notes from the Zoom chat

Edited

Monday, 9 January 2023 Genetic Genealogy meeting

Today's topic: How to include DNA data in family histories - from cMs to admixture (ethnicity)

27 attended. 20 Members: Valorie she/her, Robert Marvin, Paul Baltzer, Alexis Scholz, Dorothy Pretare, Tina Lawson, Betty Swan, Mary Ann Marston, Jane Wickert, marylynn strickland, Ed Vandehey, Cyndi Davis, Glenn York, Janis Littlefield, Anna Lowe, Sylvia Nelson, Nadine Guilbault, Gail White, Lorraine Hladik and new Member Ellany L,  and 7 guests: Karen Harrison, Lisa McCullough, Ginney Pumphrey, Ashley P, Annette Weiss, Jo Ann Lawrence, Maureen Trotter.

Today's topic: How to include DNA data in family histories - from cMs to admixture (ethnicity)
- Using DNA to fill gaps in family histories: http://www.pwaldron.info/IFHS/ (background)
- How to Prepare DNA Research Reports for Sharing: https://familylocket.com/how-to-prepare-dna-research-reports-for-sharing/ (there are a number of good posts and podcasts on FamilyLocket.com about this). Especially good for citations and privatizing examples: Privatizing DNA Research Reports for Publication: https://familylocket.com/privatizing-dna-research-reports-for-publication/.
- Playlist on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4KyIQc4eVw&list=PLbWohRttmiAiRh9RJsRuUC7Qcf9wA3tLl

Valorie she/her: Welcome everyone! Happy to see you today for our first meeting of 2023! We'd love to have you join SKCGS: https://skcgs.org/support-skcgs/Membership

If you're new, tell us where you are calling from.

Today's blog: https://skcgs.blogspot.com/2023/01/how-fleeting-life-can-be.html

Betty Swan: Valorie's is breaking up [some had internet problems]. Robert Marvin: Hello from Southern California where is currently 55 degrees and rainy - ugh. VZ: it was rainy and windy here.

Tina Lawson: Welcome everyone! Happy to see you today for our first meeting of 2023! We'd love to have you join SKCGS: https://www.skcgs.org/support-skcgs/membership

SKCGS Blog: https://www.skcgs.org/resources/blog

While discussing different ways to privatize, we saw a demo of screenshotting and using the blur function. Nadine Guilbault: How much does it cost for Awesome screenshots? [Answer: free. Most of them are, whether browser add-ons or standalone applications such as Flameshot https://flameshot.org/]. Nadine Guilbault: Thank you. Maureen Trotter: https://www.awesomescreenshot.com/.

Ed Vandehey: For the people that you had privatized, do you think it would reveal too much by putting "private (male)" or "private (female)"?

Janis Littlefield: what and when is the next study group? [Next Study Group (Members Only) will be Monday evenings 6 pm Pacific. We have not yet decided on a start date in February or March. We'll study Research Like A Pro With DNA].

Ed Vandehey: Grandson 1 of son 2 for ancestor Bill Smith, could you use "Bill Smith M2 M1"? Maureen Trotter: Ed, whether that would work would depend on how complex your argument is. If there are lots of people and a complex situation, readers will get lost very quickly. If the sex of the match is important to a part of your proof argument, perhaps you could mention it then. Ed Vandehey: Good point, Maureen. Thank you. Maureen Trotter: Sometimes colour coding cells of a descendancy chart pink or blue might work. Lorraine Hladik: That works in a chart and maybe in excel.

Anna Lowe: Have you looked at IL land domain with IL state archives. VZ: I have not, but that is now on my list of more research I need to do on my William McBee, and my McBee branch.

Sylvia Nelson: Diahan Southard, in her Legacy webinar, used the color dots she created in her spreadsheet. It was a very good webinar and free for a few more days, but always available with a Legacy membership. The 5 steps to organizing your DNA in 2023 - Free through January 11, 2023: https://familytreewebinars.com/webinar/the-5-steps-to-organizing-your-dna-in-2023/.

Valorie she/her:
Coming up:

Monday, January 16, 2023, 1–3 pm PT
Technical Users Group (Online). Topic: Creating a Research Plan
Register in advance for this meeting: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAucuigqj4uH92bWWD2uycX9Z1uSsRLY4K6
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Subscribe to the free SKCGS Tech User Group email list for meeting reminders and discussion: https://skcgs.groups.io/g/TUG

Friday, January 20, 2023, 1–3 pm PT
Research Group (in-person). For SKCGS Members only
Kent Family History Center 12817 SE 256th St., Kent, WA
Seating is limited - RSVP REQUIRED to Winona at w.laird@...

Saturday, January 21, 2023, 10–11:30 am PT.  9:30-10 am PT - Social Time
SKCGS General Meeting (Online): Michael Strauss presents "Descendancy Research: Another Pathway to Genealogy"
Register in advance for this meeting: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMvcO2rrzkvHNSTicHwOeUk4X9xA5nJOUQ7
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. This meeting will be recorded for playback by members.

Michael Strauss presents "Descendancy Research: Another Pathway to Genealogy"
Breaking through the challenges of brick walls has never been more rewarding; genealogists are often taught that the only way to do successful research is to search backwards through time; going back as far as you can. This lecture assumes a new focus on doing research by tracing all of the descendants of an ancestral couple to present; as we will examine the methodology to find living persons who may hold the key to your family history research. Focus is also given to provide an actual case study of doing this kind of research.

Michael L. Strauss, AG has been employed as a forensic investigator for thirty years, most recently he works as a research manager for Ancestry ProGenealogists. Michael is a native of Pennsylvania and a veteran of the United States Coast Guard. He is a court qualified expert witness in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Michael is a national genealogical lecturer and instructor and is a faculty member at Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG), Genealogical Research Institute of Pittsburgh (GRIP), and the Institute of Genealogical and Historical Research (IGHR) where he coordinates the military history and research courses. Michael was the film historian for the 2015 Academy Award nominated movie Finding Vivian Maier and has been involved in Civil War and Mexican American War reenacting for more than twenty-five years.

Monday, January 23, 2023, 1–3 pm PT
Genealogy Chat (Online). Meetup and chat about genealogy subjects and topics. We have no agenda; we just like one another!
Register in advance for this meeting: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUud-uqpzoiGtEMxlqDBQ_fUeS8oZjScF71
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

Thursday, January 26, 2023, 11 am –1 pm PT
Genealogy Help with SKCGS at the Auburn Library (in-person)
Genealogy questions? SKCGS offers one-on-one help with a volunteer
1102 Auburn Way S, Auburn, WA
Registration not required. In-person event. Safety guidelines and current protocols followed.
More information at King County Library, email kcls-auburn@...

Family Tree Maker User Group Saturday, February 4, 2023⋅10 am–12 pm
General Q&A for the Family Tree Maker Program
Register in advance for this Zoom meeting:
https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYsdu6uqzgiGdDn7eCsOAgkvdOXktX127sz
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. Your 2023 registration is good all year.

Betty Swan: yes please Sharing cloud Drives! [about free sessions learning to use Google Drive, Airtable, etc.)

Anna Lowe: Yeah it is windy. Our neighbor’s new fence just blew down and my daughter’s 40’ hemlock is down. VZ: our neighbor's fence partially blew down too!

Valorie she/her: Next month in Genetic Genealogy, 13 February, 1 pm PT:
DNA Study Source Citations. See
- How to Create DNA Source Citations And When to Use Them: https://www.familyhistoryfanatics.com/dna-source-citations
- DNA Source Citations: https://familylocket.com/dna-source-citations/
- QuickLesson 21: Citing DNA Evidence: Five Ground Rules: https://www.evidenceexplained.com/index.php/content/quicklesson-21-citing-dna-evidence-five-ground-rules
Register in advance for this meeting: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIucuCvqTsqHNcN7wBEC0fB_3-TRYD1rZLm
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting. If you have registered for Genetic-Gen meetings in 2023, no need to re-register. Subscribe to the free SKCGS Genetic-Genealogy email list for meeting reminders and discussion: https://skcgs.groups.io/g/Genetic-Genealogy.

marylynn strickland: Excel tips from PC Magazine  https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/22-excel-tips-for-becoming-a-spreadsheet-pro

Dorothy Pretare: EGS URL: https://eastsidegenealogicalsociety.org/ Jane Wickert: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84244606027?pwd=blZnOGFZVndraG1uTFFuamhjN0dWQT09  for Diane Elder's presentation on January 12. Room opens about 6:30 presentation starts at 7.

Sylvia Nelson: At the BIGS meeting on January 20, 2023, D. Joshua Taylor, President of the New York Genealogy & Biographical Society, will be speaking on: What’s Next: The Future of Family History

Curious about how family history might change in the coming years? This session examines the impact of new technologies, digital preservation, record access, and other factors that will impact the future of family history. Together we will explore the opportunities and challenges ahead for genealogists.
Everyone is welcome and the link will be posted on our website on Thursday.

Ellany L: Bye everybody. Anna Lowe: Bye. VZ: Wild day but we didn't lose power or internet!

As usual, please reply with anything forgotten or wrong.

Valorie

--
https://about.me/valoriez - pronouns: she/her

--
Valorie Cowan Zimmerman
Gedmatch SQ780327C1 | mtDNA H1ac

I was looking forward to that BIGS meeting with Josh Taylor, but have noticed that it will conflict with our own meeting. Bummer! I was looking forward to his ideas and predictions. -v

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 1:09 AM Valorie Zimmerman via groups.io <valorie.zimmerman=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Monday, 9 January 2023 Genetic Genealogy meeting

Today's topic: How to include DNA data in family histories - from cMs to admixture (ethnicity)

27 attended. 19 Members: Valorie she/her, Robert Marvin, Paul Baltzer, Alexis Scholz, Dorothy Pretare, Tina Lawson, Betty Swan, Mary Ann Marston, Jane Wickert, marylynn strickland, Ed Vandehey, Cyndi Davis, Glenn York, Janis Littlefield, Anna Lowe, Sylvia Nelson, Nadine Guilbault, Gail White, Lorraine Hladik and 8 guests: Karen Harrison, Ellany L, Lisa McCullough, Ginney Pumphrey, Ashley P, Annette Weiss, Jo Ann Lawrence, Maureen Trotter.

[...]

Oh No!!!

[...]

I think there may not be a conflict for some of us because this BIGS meeting is on Friday, Jan 20, and the SKCGS General Meeting is on  Saturday, Jan 21st

[...]

Thank you Dorothy! https://bigenealogy.org/ says:

Friday, January 20 @ 10AM

Zoom Virtual Event
D. Joshua Taylor
will present
Family History:
What the Future Holds
Everyone Welcome! - Click here for details. <-- check that page on Thursday for the Zoom link. 😆

I'm very happy to be wrong this time around!

Valorie